In August 2002 our new chemistry and X-ray laboratory went into operation. The 70 m2 big laboratory is divided in two parts, in which the bigger share of 43 m2 is occupied by the chemistry lab. This unit serves mainly for sample preparation and analysis for both, in house research and external SAXS user groups. In the X-ray laboratory the set-up of a SWAX camera for simultaneous small and wide angle scattering has been completed (Hecus X-ray Systems GmbH, Graz, Austria: www.hecus.at), which allows on-site testing of samples before moving on to the SR beamline. The chemistry lab is meanwhile equipped with:
Further, two working benches (one with a water sink), two fridges and a separate freezer (-20 °C), standard glassware, syringes and needles of different sizes, µ-pipettes (10, 50, 200 and 1000), as well as some standard solutions (e.g., chloroform, ethanol, methanol) and de-ionized water are available.
Fig. 1: Typical lab activity: Barbara Sartori loads the centrifuge (September 2003).